1. How long have you been a member at Hybrid?
I started working out at Hybrid around Christmas last year (2011)
2. How did you hear about the gym originally?
I had friends who had seen great results from crossfit, so was keen to give it a try. I asked around and was told that Hybrid was the place to go.
3. What is your favorite lift?
I like to do pull-ups because each time they’re in the workout I’m still surprised that I can actually do them.
4. What is your least favorite lift?
I have a love-hate relationship with many movements, but burpees are probably near the top of that list.
5. What has been your biggest achievement since starting at Hybrid?
For now I’m just happy that I can complete a workout without substituting most or all of the movements. In early workouts I was doing squat thrusts instead of burpees and doing lifts with no weight on the bar.
6. What other improvements have you seen since you joined?
About a year before starting at Hybrid I had minor back surgery. After that my workouts were focused on all the things I couldn’t do, which made me feel really old. Hybrid has completely turned that around for me. I look forward to trying all lifts/movements and if I can’t do them now it doesn’t get me down, because I’ll just try to do them the next time (or faster or with more weight).
7. How many days per week do you workout at Hybrid? Elsewhere?
I go to Hybrid three days during the week. I would do more but have to juggle childcare. At the weekend I get a couple of workouts in with my husband (something aerobic and some weights).
8. What movement are you still struggling with and what are you doing to fix it?
Handstand pushups, I’m still struggling with the handstand part.
9. What were your stats, physically, before coming to Hybrid? Weight?
I’m too embarrassed to share, but my clothes fit me again.
10. How has your nutrition changed?
I started the Paleo challenge in September and I’m surprised at the differences I’ve seen from eating Paleo. Before the challenge I thought I had a pretty clean diet, but I never counted the things that I ate between meals. Now I’m held to account I’ve stopped snacking on my son’s chicken nuggets.
11. What motivates you daily?
When I feel strong and fit I feel like I take on anything that life throws at me.
12. What advice would you give to someone who might be intimidated by Hybrid?
At Hybrid you’re encouraged to do your best, but you’re only really competing against yourself. Work-outs can be made easier or harder depending upon how strict you are or how much weight you lift. The trainers make you feel so welcome and ensure that you have correct form. I’m really glad that I found crossfit and Hybrid in particular. I don’t think I’d get out of bed at 5am for much else.